11 year old Bashira had to flee Syria and is now living in Za'atari, Jordan's largest refugee camp. She has lost everything. She had to leave Syria after witnessing violence and couldn't take anything from home. Despite her own memories and her craving for her old life, she is a ray of light within the community according to her family and neighbors. She hasn't given up hope for a peaceful future and hasn't given up dreaming. That makes her stronger than war, because the war in Syria hasn't broken her spirit.
Bashira's story in her own words:
"I spend my days in Za’atari at the child friendly space, helping my mom, and playing with my friends Rahaf, Aya and Najmah every day.
I enjoy the drama activities at the child friendly space and the lessons that they teach us there.
I want to become a teacher when I grow up. I would love to go back to Syria, to go back to my school and to play with my cousins again.
Living in the camp is difficult. I have to walk and carry heavy jugs of water to our tent. I don’t like that because it makes my arms hurt.
I really want to buy a blue dress but my father doesn’t work here. I want to study and I wish to have many toys and games that I can always play with just like the ones that Save the Children provides."
Bashira is Malala Fund's girl hero of the day, and we bring you her story via Save the Children,  who are on the ground in Jordan and provide protection and education to Syrian refugees through child friendly spaces, schools and psychosocial help. We are proud to have partnered with Save the Children to support education initiatives for young Syrian refugees. Find out more about Save the Children's work in Jordan, helping young refugees survive the trauma of conflict and displacement, here: http://jordan.savethechildren.net
(Photo Credit: Chris de Bode for Save the Children)