I want to study hard and become a pilot. I want to fly. I think I will feel free of all pains and sorrows being so up high in the sky.
Sahar is one of millions of children trapped in child labour due to poverty and conflict. She is subject to violence, mistreatment and harassment on the street, but continues to help put food on the table for her siblings. Her dream is to study and become a pilot. Read Sahar's moving story in her own words:
I have been a street working child since I was 8 years old. I sell chewing gum in the main bazaar from 6:00 in the morning until 11:00. I earn $1 daily. I use this money to buy bread and vegetables for dinner. I and my father are the only working members of my family. We have to support my mother and my three siblings. My father works in a shop. On lucky days he earns $6. Normally he comes home with $3. I hate being a working child. When you are a working child everybody tries to hurt you. The policemen hit me, people are harsh to me and working boys sometimes take my money and run away. I am living this life because of war. If there were no wars in my country and my parents could go to school now they would be able to work and take care of us. I would be able to live a normal life like other girls in my neighborhood. They do not have to wake up and go to work to feed their families. Sometimes terrible things happen on the streets when I am at work. I once saw a suicide bombing happen in front of my eyes. I lost my best friend in that attack. Her name was Feriba. I go to school after work. I like studying. I want to study hard and become a pilot. I want to fly. I think I will feel free of all pains and sorrows being so up high in the sky.
Today, we are celebrating Sahar for her indomitable spirit. We are amazed and inspired by the will and courage of children in conflict like Sahar, who dream of getting educated so that they can change the circumstances of their families and communities. Our very first project in Pakistan was directed at pulling girls out of child labour and into school, and we also support education initiatives in conflict affected areas such as Nigeria and Syrian refugees in Jordan.
Thanks to Save the Children, who is running six street working children's centres in Kabul, for sharing Sahar's story with us. Find out more about their work with conflict-affected children at www.savethechildren.org Love you
(Photo Credit: Zubair Shairzay/Save the Children)